Thursday, April 26, 2007

STOLEN BIKE

I was gonna drop a lot of stuff here, but I might as well just keep it simple.

Deep breath.

My bike was taken at the Brooklyn Banks tonight. It was around 6:30, still light, and the guy who took it approached me as a friend. I didn't remember his name, but he's one of those guys that comes through now and then, riding a scrapped-together bike asking about different stuff. Tips on how to nose wheelie, whether anyone has any parts for sale. Anyway, he asked to try my bike, and I made the mistake of saying yes. Haven't seen it since. And of course I let my renter's insurance lapse.

A lot of people at a lot of companies—people I TRULY consider friends—helped me piece this bike together. (A few of you might even read this post, and if you do, thank you. Again.) A few parts, including the seat and post and the tires, weren't even a week old. As I can't afford to build another new bike right now, I'm going to be asking a lot of those same generous people for help again. Feeling like a fool. All because someone decided to abuse the rider-to-rider trust that's usually solid. A rider should know better than ANYONE not to steal another rider's bike.

I'm mad right now (my bike was finally set up PERFECTLY), but most of all I'm just disappointed that it's come to this. I've ridden little bikes my whole life, and BMX has meant a lot to me. It still does, but obviously things have changed. Whether I get my bike back (a long shot) or I build another one (which might take a while), I'm not gonna be as trusting or friendly anymore. And that's kind of sad. Part of me doesn't even want to ride BMX anymore, let alone take photos or write about it.

If you hear anything, or see this bike (I took the picture TODAY), let me know.

I'm also half-seriously looking to move out of New York. Too expensive anyway. If anyone knows of any writing/editing gigs in a town with a real BMX scene (and a pro basketball team), let me know. There's nothing holding me here.



FRAME: 2007 Fit Edwin, 21" (original version with chainstay wishbone and plate seatstay brace)
FORK: 2007 Odyssey Race Classic
CRANKS: Odyssey Wombolt 175mm
SPROCKET: Odyssey Vermont 28t
WHEELSET: Odyssey cassette/Hazard Lite 36 (LSD), Odyssey M7
TIRES: Odyssey P Lyte 2.1s
PEDALS: Odyssey Jim C mag
SEAT: FBM Rumble Seat
POST: FBM Web Post
BARS: Animal Bob Lite
STEM: Animal Jumpoff
GRIPS: Animal Edwin
BARENDS: Animal
PEGS: Odyssey Jpeg Lite (4)
HUBGUARDS: FBM rear, BSD front
HEADSET: FSA Impact
CHAIN: KMC 510hx



Be careful out there.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow man that sucks. ill keep and eye out. u should go find that nigga and kill him.

Anonymous said...

Dude that is horrible that a rider could take another rider's bike, makes me sick.

Anonymous said...

Sucks, hope you manage to get it back somehow.

Anonymous said...

Really sorry to here that, Russ, and I wish I could say that I was surprised. I have the 20" that you so kindly lent me parts for but haven't had much time to use it. Realize that it ain't exactly you favorite set-up, but if you want it or any of the parts, just let me know. Erin

Anonymous said...

wtf thats bullshit man. i got $500 worth of shit(camera, ipod, usb) stolen from me by some druggie at college. ended up finding it was him getting my shit back and kicking his ass. And I got a exilem 6 megapixel camera that i loved stolen from me while riding last fall. its a shitty situation. im keeping my biked locked in my room now as opposed to downstairs in the bike room. just remember you still got all your camera gear. thtink of it as going pegless, enjoy the other hobbies your interested in. take a break from bmx and go on some more photo sesh's around the city or wherever. and if you ever find the guy who has your bike be nice until you get it back then fuck him up.

FatmanGB said...

shit. someone's gota die now

subversion said...

Fingers crossed for a BMX recovery then dude. I hope you find the scumbag & deliver a teeth loosening blow that would knock the bollox off a concrete elephant - mofo deserves that much.

Betrail of trust is the worst...

Anonymous said...

haha faggot.

Anonymous said...

After reading your post one of my friends went biking and left his Fit outside a shop and got it stolen.No joke.

Anonymous said...

only n00bs lend their bikes out.

Anonymous said...

^^^hah....wrong site dude, this isn't thecomeup.

Mark D. said...

Goog luck getting your ride back man. That shit is weak, but don't give up on bmx, there's still plenty of riders who've got the love, and a few scumbags.

Anonymous said...

yo mams

Anonymous said...

If you like hoops you can't move. Brooklyn Nets 2009 with Lebron James. His Cleveland contract expires in 2008, his Nike contract doubles if he moves there, and he's one of Jay Z's best friends. My prediction is in!!

Anonymous said...

Ride your 'heavy bike' project bike dude.

Anonymous said...

Fuck dude I feel for ya. Just doesn't pay to be cool these days I guess, you gotta act like some unapproachable asshole. Better if they think you're a dick after you ride away.

BTW love the blog, been reading for a while on the low. If you're still hurtin, hit me up (contact info on the site, waste-nj.com), maybe we can help you out with something. What goes around.., you know.

Anonymous said...

ehh! keep posting some pics!

the blog is incredible!!

i´m sorry about your bike but keep taking photos ;) jeje...

good luck

La Rubia...

burntdownthomas said...

yo. Im right there with you on getting bikes stolen in the city. banks jam got my bike taken. just gotta build back up..

Loran said...

Portland ... Sweet ass place to live, the people are real chill and layed back. Pretty good bmx scene out there to. And they have the Trail Blazers.

Anonymous said...

Find him and cut his fuckin hands off!

Anonymous said...

feels like a long way off from union at 5am. just another duchebag "keeping it gangster"

Anonymous said...

probably blackman

Anonymous said...

i saw b______n with this frame and cranks

Anonymous said...

blackman was the one who got one of his boys to do that shit that muddafucka i want him to die someone should kill that muddafucka...snitch on that nigga to the feds cause they are looking for that kid......man that kid stays a fredy's house and steel bikes so he can pay rent that bum muddafucker...russ man take care of yourself bro

Anonymous said...

Great work.